Terry cloth shorts set the right balance between refined luxury and comfort. They are designed for intimate garden parties and sunset walks. These men’s shorts are created to stylishly expose the knees and can stretch enough to accommodate different hamstring and quad sizes.
Terry cloth shorts are heavier than summer standbys such as cotton and linen. Yet they are cherished for their fluffy texture and keep you cool even on the hottest days. They are perfect to dry yourself after taking a dip in the water. Still, there’s more to this cloth than its practical benefits. Besides mens terry cloth shorts, this versatile fabric is being reimagined in so many different ways including unisex cabana shirts, swimsuits, and matching sets.
What is the Terry Cloth?
Terry cloth is a soft and comfortable fabric made mostly of cotton. Some terry fabrics can feature 100% cotton, but its material can also comprise a blend of cotton and a small percentage of rayon, lycra, polyester, or spandex. Other fabric blends can contain organic soy.
Terry cloth is a low-maintenance and midweight knit fabric with its origins in France. It was first woven to make bath robes and towels. The fabric is also referred to as French terry.
Main Features of Terry Cloth
Some of the key features of terry cloth are as follows:
- The textured fabric comprises raised uncut loops that increase the surface area
- Terry cloth shorts are more breathable and have good moisture-wicking properties
- The cloth became widely popular in the 1990s
- It made a comeback in the form of resort wear staples that included comfortable shorts, polo shirts, and retro matching sets
- The knit fabric features soft piles of yarn on one side and loops on the other
- It is easy to identify French terry fabric shorts from the soft inside and smoother outside
- The soft inside touches the skin and provides a comfy feel without any irritation
- As a midweight fabric, it is heavier than its cotton counterparts but lighter than fabrics used for making sweatpants made for colder conditions
- The fabric can keep you warm in cooler conditions and cool in warmer conditions
Benefits of Terry Cloth Shorts
Terry cloth shorts are widely popular and the trend will continue to stay here for a number of reasons:
- Super Comfortable: The soft piles of yarn touching your skin feel cozy and soft.
- Flexible: Terry cloth shorts have just the ideal give to provide flexibility and stretch for workouts, yoga, and other physical activities.
- Keeps You Dry & Cool: As mentioned above, terry cloth has good moisture-wicking properties. Your shorts will draw sweat away from the skin, keeping you dry and cool.
- Perfect for Layering: Terry cloth fabric can be born all year round and both under and over other clothes.
Terry cloth shorts are, thus, both functional and stylish. They keep you feeling comfortable for hours, are soft on your skin, and keep you cool out in the sun. There is almost no other material that can provide such a unique combination of benefits.